The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
SIG/CEN for Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies (National)
This SIG/CEN is a national group, founded in 1987 by Christine Huskie who subsequently ran the group until 1990 when its organisation was passed to Dr Jane Russell. In 1992 management of SIG was passed to a committee.
In 2014 the decision was made to change the name from a Special Interest Group (SIG) to a Clinical Excellence Network (CEN), in line with national RCSLT guidelines and to more accurately reflect the core purpose of the group.
TITLE: RCSLT SIG/CEN for Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies (National)
The client group encompassed by this CEN includes:
- Children and adults with cleft palate
- Craniofacial and orofacial anomalies with/without cleft palate
- Clients with speech disorders arising from velopharyngeal dysfunction
Membership is open to registered RCSLT members who have an interest in speech, language and communication needs associated with cleft palate and craniofacial conditions. Membership is granted upon payment of annual subscription and entitles members to reduced fees at meetings. The membership year runs from 1st April – 31st March.
Honorary membership is occasionally conferred upon those who have made a significant contribution to this client group. Honorary members are awarded free membership to the CEN but all other costs will be as per regular members.
- To provide opportunities for CPD
- To respond to relevant issues on behalf of RCSLT at their request and in liaison with the CFSGBI and the Cleft SLT Leads group
- To exchange and discuss information concerning this client group
- To improve standards of care for this client group on a national basis
- To promote advances in speech and language therapy management of this client group, including discussion of new equipment and techniques from national and international sources
- To provide peer support for speech and language therapists working with this client group
- To encourage members to undertake and participate in research/audit projects and share their findings
- To disseminate information on national research initiatives
- To provide some financial support for members to attend related conferences and study days (nationally and internationally)
- Study days will be open to SLTs and appropriate others who have an interest in this client group
- The minimum number of study days per year will be two. One of these will be linked to the annual conference of The Craniofacial Society of Great Britain and Ireland and will include the AGM
- The group assumes the right to call extraordinary and other study days
- Study days will be organised by the committee and members will be informed in writing of the date, venue and proposed agenda
- Minutes from the AGM will be available to the membership on the CEN website
- The committee will be made up of eight officers: chairperson, secretary, treasurer, website manager(s) and at least two other officers
- Committee members will serve a minimum term of two years, with the option to extend to three years. The chairperson will be in post for a minimum of one year.
- Committee members will be required to pay their annual membership fees but will not be charged for attendance at study days/meetings
- Nominations for the committee will be proposed and seconded by members and should have the consent of the nominee
- It is intended to have members representing a) different parts of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, b) the membership specialising in craniofacial conditions, c) a lead clinician from a cleft palate centre, d) centre and community clinicians, where possible
- Members can not be re-elected to the committee until two years after their last term of office
- Full details of committee member duties are available from the secretary
- The committee meetings will be held at least twice a year, with one meeting to be held face to face.
- The treasurer is responsible for the management of accounting of CEN funds and receiving the annual subscriptions
- The CEN will not incur liabilities over available funds
- An annual audited account will accompany the annual report to RCSLT
- The membership secretary will be responsible for managing the membership database and is responsible for its upkeep